VISITING SCHOLAR 2018
Rev. Dr. Serene Jones - March 2-3 at Village Church
About Our Speaker
A highly respected scholar and public intellectual, the Rev. Dr. Serene Jones is
• The 16th president and first woman to head the 180-year-old Union Theological Seminary in New York City.
• Formerly the Titus Street Professor of Theology at Yale Divinity School and chair of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at Yale University.
• Ph.D. from Yale University
• M.Div. from Yale Divinity School
• Tamil Nadu Theological Seminary, special student, Tamil Nadu, South India
• B.A. from University of Oklahoma
About Her Presentations at Village Church
March 2-3, 2018, Dr. Jones will explore the topic “American Theology.” In her essay “How to Heal the Spiritual Pain in America” in the Sept.7, 2016 issue of TIME magazine, Dr. Jones says, “As a theologian, I think about stories...As Americans we have a ‘theological’ national story.” She goes on to discuss how our story omits the negative, why this omission is unhealthy, and the need for a new story of our aspirations, successes, tragedies, and errors. CLICK HERE to read the full essay.
Check back this fall for ticket information.
Our thanks to all who attended our 2017 Visiting Scholar event with Dr. Beverly Roberts Gaventa.
The Visiting Scholar Program is committed to bringing well known Bible Scholars and Theologians to Village Church and the community ...
The Visiting Scholar Program is sponsored by
Presbyterian Women at Village Presbyterian Church.