The Village Church offers an emergency assistance program providing financial support to individuals and families experiencing difficulty paying their utility bills and rent. We also receive calls from more than 30 agencies, such as Catholic Charities, Salvation Army and our own Food Pantry, to coordinate assistance on their clients’ behalf. In order to receive emergency assistance from Village Presbyterian Church, applicants must follow these guidelines:
1. You live within five county Kansas City metropolitan area: Johnson, Jackson, Clay, Platte and
2. You are working through case worker or existing agency to help cover the entirety of the bill. If
you are not working with a case worker, you need to call United Way 211 to identify a case
worker in your area to provide support.
3. You have shown a case worker proof of income.
4. You have a past due utility bill or rent in the name of an adult household member.
You must provide a copy of the bill or notice to Village Church to verify past due
amount by dropping off a copy at the church, by faxing or by emailing. Call the
Emergency Assistance office for fax number or email address.
5. Your payment history shows recent payment to a utility company.
6. For rent assistance, Village looks at the following criteria:
a. The landlord or mortgage company is willing to cooperate with the
b. You are able to pay the difference between our assistance and your past due rent
c. You have a reasonable plan to make future rent or mortgage payments on
d. You can provide late notice or eviction notice showing outstanding rent or
e. You can provide copy of lease, if renting.
7. Amounts may vary, based on funding available. Typical grants are $50 for utility
assistance and between $50 and $100 for rent.
8. Village Church does not pay for temporary housing in a hotel or motel unless
requested by a case worker.
9. You have not received assistance funds from Village Church in the past 12 months.
10. Village emergency assistance is not staffed on a full time basis. Therefore, all
emergency assistance is handled over the phone on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and
Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Drop-ins will not be seen. The Emergency
Assistance phone number is 913-671-2340.