Community Life Ministry Time and Talent Needs
Trust that you are gifted!
Listed below are numerous ways you can share of your Time and Talents with the Community Life Department. If you are interested in any of the following volunteer opportunities, please contact the Community Life Office, 913.671.2375 or 913.671.2334. Thanks so much for serving our church.
- Computer Ministry — Teacher — volunteer in classroom setting. Teaching Very Basic and Intermediate computer classes for 4-week sessions, either on Tuesdays, 1:00–2:30 p.m., or Wednesdays, 6:30–8:00 p.m. — Two sessions for each class per year.
- Computer Ministry — Chime — volunteer in the classroom setting. Assigned one on one to a student to walk them through the computer manual as the teacher teaches. Assisting in Very Basic and Intermediate computer classes for 4-week sessions, either on Tuesdays, 1:00–2:30 p.m., or Wednesdays, 6:30–8:00 p.m. — Two sessions for each class per year.
- Computer Ministry — Refurbishing Team — volunteers work at the 99th & Mission location, refurbishing donated computers to be distributed out in the community to those in need of computers. This team meets on Tuesday evenings, 6:30–8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday Night Dinners — Dinners are held on Wednesday evenings, 5:30–6:45 p.m. in Friendship Hall from September–May each year. The teams are put together to work one Wednesday night a month in the dining room. Each team has two shifts, an early shift that sets the tables and a late shift that cleans up and clears the tables. This is a once-a-month obligation, and time commitment is approximately 4:30–6:45 p.m.
- Wednesday Night SPECIAL Dinners: Extra volunteers are needed for the Thanksgiving Potluck in November and the Feast of Carols dinner in December.
- Meals on Wheels — We have two teams that deliver meals on every Friday of the month. One team is out of the Matt Ross Community Center in Overland Park, the other out of the Roeland Park Community Center in Roeland Park. Volunteers are assigned a Friday and go to the center they are assigned, pick up their meals and deliver a set route. This is a one-day-a-month obligation. Substitute drivers are also welcome.
- Kansas City Royals game — Each summer we take a group to see a Royals game. Volunteers are needed to ride the bus and shepherd the people to their seats and back to the bus.
- Pleasant Green Baptist Church — Each Thanksgiving and Christmas, volunteers can sign up to go the PGB Church on the evenings the week before each holiday and sort/sack groceries/slice turkeys. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, volunteers go to PGB Church and dish up meals and deliver meals. Time commitment for each opportunity is approximately 1–2 hours.
- Seasonal Events: Help with Set up, greet, assist during each event, cleanup. Events include:
- Winter Carnival in January
- First Friday at Village art event in May
- Ice Cream Social & Car Show in June
- Classic Citizen Celebration in August
- Fall BBQ in September
- Paul Mesner Puppets in December
- Kansas City Brass Concert in December
- Serve on the Community Life Committee — Help plan to support and serve our church on a Committee of the Session, which meets on the 3rd Monday of the month (6:00 dinner, 7:00 meeting), January–December 2012. (No Meetings in June, July or December.)